Concepts

Wednesday 14 October 2015

Prop Modelling - Texture

This week involved texturing the props we have made. I struggled with having a rust texture that I liked, and sampled many, placing them on my UV map and importing them into Maya. Some of the textures didn't look good in terms of the quality.

These four textures, while I liked them, weren't that great looking when they were placed onto the pipe model.


looks cool but hard to tile

also cool, but once again, it wasn't very tileable
another texture that didn't work out
In the end, I finally found some textures that I liked, and tiled nicely! At first I believed that the quality was seriously bad, and it was hard to be convinced by the textures, when the prop itself was really smooth and flat on its surface.

I think we might do bump mapping? I hope we do, cause otherwise the rusted pipe will look a bit odd, especially since rust is definitely not smooth to the touch. I don't think we are though, so I will always be slightly irked with this pipe.

The UV for my pipe (I MADE IT LIKE 5 TIMES)
For the texturing part, I originally mucked up my UV Texture, as I forgot about the small faces that I had made so that the pipe has sharper edges at the opening.

After redoing it, I had a nice UV, and I moved it into Photoshop to add the texture. However, my textures weren't well picked at first. I attempted to try and blend them so they were seamless, but it was too hard to try and do, and I didn't fancy wasting my time trying to make something look good when I could search for a better texture.

So I did.

It took me a while to find a texture that I felt was suitable, but I found it. This one did require some effort in making seamless, but it was much less time consuming than other textures I attempted.

I slapped in onto my pipe and BAM. One textured pipe.
Tiling the texture that I chose.
A

Successful texture no. 1 

Successful pipe texture no. 2



No comments:

Post a Comment